Friday, June 12, 2009

The Value Of Knowledge

Good day. I have been away for quite a long time. I really fell apart yesterday upon seeing my result. Wasn't expecting it to be that bad but I've learnt to accept the fact. I suck at Arabic. Well, enough about it, I wanted to talk about something else. This morning I heard that the government is planning to increase the number of male teachers. How is that to be done? Increase incentives, yada yada yada. I used to wonder how these people get to know these information. I mean, the ones that involves petty stuff like this.

But then, I figured it out. The ministers don't have time to check each and every information given to him by his staff or how you call it? Subordinates? Ah yes whatever. So, he, or she, will listen to the important ones. Where does these subordinates get their infos? From the District Education Office. This flows to the school. The school's administration level would gather the data and send it to them. Sometimes, the PTA will set up a meeting and members will 'discuss' the problems and achievements that of the school.

Well for certain problems, that system is very effective. But I had to say one thing. What you're missing are the students themselves! Why in the name of God do you put aside the most important part in the education system? If you ask the administration level, yes they will say, 'Oh this teacher is good, come in class early and this and that,' The reality is way off the track that these Ministry people are going through.

The thing that inflict the problem is that many look at the profession of teaching itself is regarded as the last resort by many. It's that when you need job security, or when your grades are not that great during SPM, you go to teaching. I'm not saying that every teacher undergo the same scenario, only that majority is like that. Don't go and tell me that I'm ignorant and all. I know what's going on. I have friends and teachers, loads of them, who tell me the same old story.

When this happen, these 'teachers' would do their job without passion. Being a teacher today is not the same as it is in 1973. It's tiring. So to see that a teacher actually has ample time, is hilariously preposterous. You have a class at 10.25, and yet and 10.32 you're still at the teacher's lounge. Papers that should be marked, unmarked, and even if you get into class, the class would be a meaningless one. I wonder, how do these teachers sleep at night. And how do they withdraw their salary every month, the one that they don't deserve.

Being a teacher, simply means that you need to teach. Yes, and there are task that you need to do for the school. But it pictures basically, teaching, and educating. How simple the words looked, but they brought a very great responsibility. You're responsible to transfer knowledge from the source to the students. It is a noble profession, as you hold the trust of hundreds of parents, and the future of the community, the country. No matter what colour your skin is, if you bear the name 'Teacher', I beg you, have conscience. Know that God is always watching.

Humblest gratitude to all my teachers, as they did a very good job.

1 comment: