Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Bird and The Bees. The Spelling Ones Lah

I must say this. This week has been a hell of a time. I don't actually expect this to happen. Well, not this major la. I don't know what's the big deal actually, dragging it. But yeah, then again I'm a guy. I don't care much about stuff that concerns, well pretty much everything. But still, I would say that I am very happy that a friend of mine is doing what she thinks is best for her.

Okay, back to my home. There's like loads of dogs in front of my house lately. Yeah, because it's raining so they're like hang around in front of the gate. I'd give them food. Because good deeds come after another (betul ke ape aku cakap neh?). But I just like it. He3 Lagi2 tengok puppy tu ha. Comel nak mampus okeh. 

Oh ya, I went for spelling bee. Got 2nd place. Yeah. What's the word that I misspelled? Regurgitate. Ha3 I don't even know that word exists! But it was fun. I was thinking of flunking the 2nd say but what the heck kan. I don't even read any dictionary so I just let Tuhan do His job. Know what? My dad was like 'oh... R-E-G-U-R-G-I-T-A-T-E..' Serious lawak okeh. Anyhow, I wonder why is it called spelling bee. Well, here's the reason.

Bees are industrious little creatures, and have been used as symbols of dedication to work ('busy as a bee') since at least Chaucer's time. The image of thousands of bees in a hive tirelessly working away at their little bee-tasks (making honey, storing honey, planning to sting me) makes a good metaphor for a community or group uniting in a common task, and such unified efforts came to be known as 'bees' in Colonial America. 

'Bees' were usually a group effort for the benefit of one member who could not have handled the task (raising a barn, for instance) alone, and 'husking bees' and 'apple bees' where crops were gathered and prepared for storage were common. 

'Quilting bees,' where the women of a community gathered to create a quilt while passing on the skills to a younger generation, were also an important social institution in Early America. In an extended sense, 'bee' also came to mean any community gathering for a specific purpose, giving us 'spelling bees' in the late 1800s. 
Satisfying enough. He3 

2 comments:

Izuan said...

At least you learned a new word, right?

Sufee Yusli said...

Yes sir. Indeed helpful.