Wednesday, May 6, 2009

When SMS Is The 'In' Thing

This country, Malaysia has gone through so many stages since the beginning of last century. It has seen many marvelous events, and even tragedies. The fallen hero during the Japanese invasion, the declaration of independence, the emergence of Saga, and the rise of our own Twin Towers. However, the greatest threat to the nation's stability still lingers across the 13 states. 

During my last visit to Borders, I came across a book written by Tunku. It was about the 13th May incident. I remember when I discover the date of 13th May, not many wanted to tell me what it is about. But as time goes by, we see many books, and journals discussing about the matter. I went on to read about it briefly. But what I was fascinated of was the pictures included in the book. It shows how bad the situation is at that time. Cars looks like firewood and buildings, well lets just say Krakatoa looks more pleasing.

I never lived through 13th May, but I have experienced 31st August 2007. Remember? Well it is still fresh in my mind. The horror started when the housekeeper told my mum that there will be a strike, similar to the 13th May but this time, it's Indians who are the ones who's going to do it. There were rumours saying that there has been a fight at Taman Cendana between Malays and Indians. In normal circumstances, I couldn't care less but the thing is, Taman Cendana is 5 minutes away from my house.

Then it happens. Rumours spread like wildfire as they say. Cops are everywhere. Roadblocks are like 2cm away from each other. Like I said, rumours were spread and it's ugly. Nobody went out of the house after 8pm. Then SMSs came pouring in, telling stuff that is not very nice for the throat to hear. I have loads of Indian friends, but the matter does not affect our friendship. We still meet at Plaza Pelangi after tuition class. But as 31st August came nearer, the tension grows stronger.

I have never been more scared in my life, I had to admit that. I mean, the thought of being attacked, or witnessing one is not pretty okayh. So we succeed in convincing my dad to get out of JB. Well, the epicenter of the strike was supposed to be in Pasir Gudang, so that explains my worry lah kan. Turn out that nothing happened. That night of 31st August, Datuk Balakrishnan came to Taman Cendana, paying a visit to the residents there. 

The thing is, nobody wants a bloodshed. However we say it, somehow we just want to live our everyday lives smoothly. That is why unity is very important. Respect is a must and tolerance should be practice. Why should we hate someone who's different than us? We're all God's creation. Whatever we do, think about the effects inflicted after that. It is not easy, but it is not that hard to maintain peace in our country. All we have to realise is that we are so lucky to be in this land of opportunity. Long live Malaysia. 

No comments: