Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Language Is Never A Barrier, When You Master It

Hello. I just came back from KL. It was tiring. The day started early as we head for the Land of The Riches at 5am. Before I knew it, at 8 we already arrived at Sungai Besi toll booth. Upon reaching the MMC building, I've already planned my move. I ditched my dad's driver (ha3 sorry) and heads for KLCC. Know what? Those people started late. At 10, they had just only began to open up the roller shutter. I got bored and started my long walk back home, Pavilion. The same thing happened there. God, they are late risers. But considering Pavilion memang selalu kosong kan, so it's not quite awkward.

I walked past Salvatore Ferragamo, Gucci, Raoul, Louis Vuitton and those watch boutique that has the name Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin and such. These European names makes Japanese MikiMoto sounds cartoon-ish. I remember when the shopping heaven used to be at Lot 10. Those names were not even there. Now, the riches can buy their big toys right in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. I saw Carl's Jr and decided to browse through the whole floor first. As if it was fated, I went into Speedy Video. As I entered, I heard this music. I fell in love with it in mere seconds. It was Kantoi by Zee Avi.

See, I've been watching this music industry being taken away by the Indonesian madness early 2001. And since then, our own singers are having a hard time to penetrate our own industry. But recently, this Indie phenomena has arise and it started to win the heart of us Malaysian, especially the younger generation. Then, I began to listen to Yuna, a young UiTM Law gal, who started singing with just a microphone and a guitar. What caught my attention was her English. American. I myself speak British. But it's cool to listen to a fellow Malaysian speaking like our American friends. At my campus, I would just go to Her Highness Miss Ida's place to listen to one. Ha3

I am proud. Why? Because there are Malaysians who really have the initiative to speak English properly. Lately, we've seen loads of idiots demonstrating on the streets, rejecting the policy which tries to help Malaysians students coping. If you are one of them, read this carefully.

You.

Are.

An.

Idiot.

Look at Chinese from Mainland China. Upon hosting the Olympic last year, many Americans were imported so that they can teach the Chinese how to communicate in English well. Even an elderly, who may not live long to finish half a page of China Daily, tried very hard to speak English. Here, we are given the opportunity. And yet, we throw it away, with a stupid excuse; afraid that Malaysians might forget how to speak Bahasa Malaysia.

To those who tried, I give you my bow of respect. To those who seriously despise my thoughts in this post, go to hell. But then again, how can you understand my blog if you don't speak English? I know I suck in Arabic, but at least I tried my best to learn it. How are we going to move on with the globalisation process when we are too proud to admit that English is the main language?

Untuk post kali ini, saya mengutuk sekerasnya sesiapa yang membantah, dan tidak mahu mempelajari bahasa Inggeris. Tidak semestinya kita hilang identiti sebagai seorang rakyat Malaysia apabila kita petah berkata-kata dalam bahasa asing.

5 comments:

::ayn:: said...

haha. i agree. oh hey, pointer okay?

Sufee Yusli said...

pointer? hu3 got 3.48. i realy dunno how to rate that. u?

Izuan said...

This is very well-written, Sufee. I nodded my head in approval as I read every single sentence in this entry.

I grimaced with a pang of anger (and shame) when I read a student's blog (she's also from UiTM Segamat) explaining that she got bad grades for BEL260 just because "kita kan orang Melayu, memanglah susah nak belajar English."

What a disappointment! How shallow is that?

In addition, she insulted her lecturer (not me though). Shocking, I know.

Reality is: language cannot be mastered overnight. It had to be learned with passion, diligence and continuous effort. One will never be able to speak well in the target language if he/she did not have all of the traits mentioned above.

Diri sendiri malas belajar nak kutuk lecturer yang tak reti mengajar.

UiTM has its own vision for using English as the medium of teaching and learning. I'm sure everybody understood why. And I'm not going to elaborate. Sadly, there are still narrow-minded students with that shameful attitude. They should grab the opportunity to improve themselves in order to increase their value for the job market.

Sorry for the lengthy comment. Emosi plak tiba-tiba.

Anyway, I do hope all Malay students will change their negative perception (about learning English) to a positive one like you. And I give you, Sufee, a standing ovation for that last paragraph. Bravo!

Izuan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sufee Yusli said...

Thank you sir. I really appreciate it. =D