Thursday, June 4, 2009

Now There's A Good Sport

Hello. Just now, I was listening to Kieran and Seelan Paul babbling about some football stuff. It's obvious that Kieran is with Man U and Seelan siding Liverpool. I don't really know anyone who would go for Aston Villa. Or maybe Sunderland, or even Hull City. Yeah. Because all of them suck. For the rest of the world, Barclay Premier League has only around five to six football clubs. The rest are just bozos playing balls to give this 'real' clubs some 'real' training.

I remember the time when I really enjoyed watching golf. Guess which player I'm a fan of? Ha3 tak payah lah. Aku minat Tiger Woods lah. Ooo big surprise. But everyone seems to be swinging the club with one arm. I liked, no, loved the chip Woods made during the Masters Tournament in 2005. If there's a word to describe something more than fantasticly marvelous, I'll use it to describe that shot.

It's the same with tennis. Everyone was so madly in love with Agassi during his time. And even Navratilova during hers. Now it's Kutsnetsova. Or the Williams sisters. They don't like them because of the stupid (or maybe it helps?) groan during the game, but they rather like the style of the playing itself. Don't ask me about Sharapova, though. She's a different story. No2, she's good, don't get mad.

What about boxing? Yeah.. Someone told me, when he was young, Muhammad Ali was the king. Whenever there's a match and he's in it, it's as if the town had died. Everyone is glued to the TV set. School session stopped for a while, and even workplace would have breaks. Whether it is true or not, I don't know, but that's what I was told. People love him because of his achievements. Not because he's black. And definitely not because his boxing shorts are trendy.

For each sports, there will be a favourite, an icon which represents the game itself. For baseball, there's Yankees. For Malaysian badminton, Datuk Lee Chong Wei. For F1, it used to be Schumacher. Whatever it is, sports are leisure for some, life for the elite. For the others who're just spectators, it's just another game. Fans, would die to see their favourites win. Let's just hope nobody does, as to me, it's useless to bark on other dog's bone.

No comments: